Section 27 Cultural Assessments
Since January 2018, WERA Consultants Ltd (WERA) has been engaged to provide Section 27 Cultural Assessment Services for local law firms in the Central North Island.
Our Section 27 Cultural Assessments support offenders with sentencing in the Rotorua District Court. Israel Hawkins cultural knowledge and assessment methodology has been recognised at both Local and National levels.
Our Section 27 Cultural Assessments include the following:
- Assessment of Te Whare Tapa Wha - A Maori health model focusing on: whanau, physical, spiritual and mental health.
- Assessment of Te Ao Maori - Tikanga and Te Reo Maori (Maori practices and beliefs)
- An assessor’s judgement of the cultural connection to culpability for each assessment area.
- Tatau Pounamu: A description of the probability and activities required for reconciliation between the offender and the victim.
- A community, whanau, hapu and iwi based re-integration and cultural development plan for the offender as an alternative to imprisonment.
If you have a client you feel would benefit from a Section 27 Cultural Assessment please contact Rachael Payne on firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office on (07) 346 1337 OR 0800 GO WERA.